You Need to Know to Boost Your Immunity and Reduce Your Risk of Infection
by Dr. Les Cole
These are difficult days for so many people, with losing jobs, social distancing, isolating in place and fear of contracting COVID-19. Yet, it is impossible to isolate in place 100 percent. We all need to go to the pharmacy for medication, etc. or the grocery store for food and still there are people in these places not wearing masks and not sanitizing hands frequently enough. For many people, not knowing how to best protect themselves even though they are following guidelines is an additional stressor.
We know the way SARS-CoV-2, the COVID-19 virus, gains access to our cells is through angiotensin receptors which are located on our cells. This is where the virus attaches to enter our cells. Vitamin D3 helps to block the virus from attaching to those receptors and it also improves immunity. In addition, in someone who is infected with COVID-19, vitamin D3 helps reduce the hyper-inflammation (cytokine storm) in the lungs that leads to the need for ventilation and death. All of these effects are well laid out in scientific literature.
Here are recommendations based on scientific research to help boost your immunity and help kill or block viruses:
· Wellness Essentials Multivitamin (or equivalent multi pack) – 1 packet daily for overall improved cell health and function
· Vitamin D3 with vitamin K2 – 10,000* IU of vitamin D3 daily (*2000 IU or less if you have kidney problems, have or had kidney stones or have high calcium, depending on severity) to improve immune function, decrease unwanted inflammation and decrease viral attachment to cell receptors (thus blocking infection); improves REM sleep if taken before bed yet may make nightmares worse (rarely). If so, take in A.M.
· Vitamin A – 5,000 IU of the retinyl palmitate form daily. This is the active form. Beta-carotene is not vitamin A but rather the precursor to vitamin A. Many people have genetic mutations in the enzymes that convert beta-carotene to retinyl palmitate. Vitamin A is critical for immune system function and critical for vitamin D function.
· Vitamin C – 2000 mg taken before bed improves sleep. It has many functions including improving immunity. If this dose causes loose stools, take 1000 mg in A.M. and P.M.
· Zinc – 30 - 50 mg daily
· Selenium – 200 mg daily
· Magnesium – 400 mg daily
· Immunoberry – 1 dropper full daily
· Silver Hydrosol nasal spray – 2 squirts up each nostril 4 times daily
This regimen has shown to be effective in most patients to prevent colds and flu and will likely help to prevent infection with coronavirus as well. The multivitamin formula helps your cells, including your immune cells, to have most of the nutrients they need to be healthy and function properly, especially for those who don’t eat their recommended nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day. The next seven are specifically to boost your immune system and silver is deadly to all viruses, so if you spray it up your nose frequently throughout the day, it will kill the virus before it can take hold. There has been a rush on these products so they are currently difficult to find. Call St. Petersburg Health & Wellness so we can help you find them.
St. Petersburg Health & Wellness is located at 2100 MLK Jr. St. N, St. Petersburg. Come in for therapies to boost your immunity and antioxidant status and decrease your risk of infection. For information and appointment, call 727-202-6807; you will be scheduled in their regular IV rooms on the opposite side of the office from the isolation room with separate entrance. You will be well protected with their REME-HALOs that kill 99+ percent of any viruses in the air and on surfaces throughout the entire office and three feet in every direction from any infectious source.