Oh No, Mercury in My Mouth!
Apr 21, 2016 12:50PM
By Ginger Rodeghero
The majority of people know that mercury is a poison. They may even know just how toxic it really is and that it isn’t good for them. What a majority of people don’t know is that the main ingredient of those shiny, metal fillings in their mouths is mercury!
Mercury is the most poisonous, non-radioactive, naturally occurring substance on our planet. The World Health Organization (WHO) has stated that there is no safe level of mercury. That means that no amount of mercury is safe—not even one atom. It has been proven that not only do amalgam fillings slowly release the highly toxic mercury vapor, but that the common act of brushing, drinking coffee, soda or chewing foods will release increased mercury vapor at levels more than allowed by governmental regulatory agencies in the workplace.
It is ironic that regulatory agencies require the materials that make up an amalgam filling, such as mercury, silver, zinc, copper and tin, be placed in hazardous waste containers when they are removed from a tooth, yet there is no regulation of an amalgam filling when it’s placed in a tooth!
Many people suffer from mercury toxicity without even knowing that their metal fillings are the culprit. Symptoms can vary and range from lack of energy and depression to headaches, memory loss and insomnia.
What can you do about all of those shiny silver fillings in your mouth? See a mercury free, mercury safe dentist. Many dentists today no longer place silver mercury fillings because they are not as aesthetic as the white fillings. But you need to see a dentist who is trained in the specific protocol to safely remove the mercury fillings. Measures should be taken so that the toxic mercury vapor is not realized into the air or your body. A mercury safe dentist will take the needed measures to protect you, his staff, the environment and himself.
So, when searching for a dentist to remove those silver fillings, be absolutely sure he or she will be taking the steps to protect you from exposure to the toxic mercury vapor during the amalgam removal process.
Dr. Paul Rodeghero is a 1983 graduate of Ohio State Dental School and a Fellow in the Academy of General Dentistry as well as the International Congress of Oral Implantology. He has completed thousands of hours of continuing education and is on the cutting edge of the latest technology.
Clearwater Family Dental is located at 215 S. Myrtle. Ave., Clearwater. For information and appointments, call 727-442-3363 or visit MyClearwaterFamilyDental.com. See ad page 16.